An area for young explorers at the Nautical Archaeology Society Conference 2020 supported by MSDS Marine.
We know how important it is to inspire the next generation of maritime archaeologists and that is one reason why MSDS Marine are supporting the Kids Adventure Cove area at the NAS conference. Everyone has their own story of how they got in to archaeology but for Alison at MSDS Marine she can remember exactly when it happened. She was eight years old and on a school trip to visit excavations of a Romano British site in the village where she lived. The post holes got her hooked and she never looked back! For others on the team it was the lure of the sea and a love of diving, finding a Victorian coin wedged between rocks on the beach as a child, finding spent bullets in a WWI firing range in a peat bog, a love of puzzles (and archaeology is one big puzzle!) or watching Indiana Jones with their family. Additionally, many of our team have children and we know how having something to keep them entertained allows us all to attend conferences more easily!
The Kids Adventure Cove area at the NAS conference has lots of maritime archaeology activities for children to download and do as well as an interactive game designed especially for the conference.
We will also be running a series of live events and competitions. The best bit is children can attend the conference for FREE – so register now!
We are running three competitions over the course of the conference aimed at using maritime archaeology to inspire the next generation. We are asking entrants to use Play-Doh, Lego or Minecraft to make a maritime archaeology inspired creation. We have donated some pretty awesome prizes so it’s well worth entering. The competition is open to everyone, even those not attending the rest of the conference so do share details far and wide with any budding creators you may know.
- You do not have to be attending the conference to enter the competition (but you may want to register and attend on the Sunday at 4pm to see the results announced live!)
- Photos or screenshots of entries should be emailed to info@MSDSMarine.co.uk by 11am on Sunday 22nd November along with the name and age of the entrant and a sentence or two explaining what you have made and the inspiration
- Anything inspired by maritime archaeology goes!
We will also be hosting a series of live events at the Kids Adventure Cove for children (and those young at heart) attending the conference.
- On Saturday at 4pm Dani Newman from CITiZAN will be hosting a live crafting session to build some cardboard pill boxes! Come discover all the amazing ways they can be camouflaged and invent your own way to hide one in plain sight for our competition. Come back at 1pm on Sunday to join Dani live to see what people have made.
- On Sunday at 11am Rebecca Causer will be doing a live story time reading of the classic Derek the Dredger book. Join Rebecca for an action-packed adventure that will appeal to all ages!
- On Sunday at 4pm Alison James from MSDS Marine will announce the winners of the Play-Doh, Lego and Minecraft competitions.